A California certified building inspector with more than 36 years of experience in the construction industry. As the assistant project manager of inspection services for a municipal consulting firm, he assisted in the management of building department personnel. As a city building inspector, he has worked with many Southern California municipalities. His construction skills include carpentry, electrical, mechanical and plumbing trades.
REGISTRATION / LICENSES
• Certified Building Inspector ICBO (International Conference of Building Officials) #29756, #0848506-10, ICC/IRC (International Code Council) #0848506-01
• California State Contractor License (Bonded), CA #375231
Consulting Building Code Expert 1996-Present
Owner of Lighting Inspection and Consulting Services, LLC. Perform real property inspections and due diligence, for real estate transactions; controls and regulates the installation and or retrofit of structural components; fire-related assemblies; electrical, mechanical, and plumbing components. As an expert witness for litigation support, provides opinions in hundreds of lawsuits regarding the relevance of the uniform codes and the standard of care in wrongful deaths, injuries, multiple defects,failures of fixtures, materials and assemblies, and ADA requirements. Experienced in trial and deposition testimony, arbitrations, and mediations.
Building Code Expert, Pacific Construction Management, Inc., 1993-1996
Assistant Project Manager, Senior Building Inspector, Building Inspector, Field Instructor, Pacesetter Municipal Services,
As Assistant Project Manager: Assisted in securing contracts with governmental agencies within California. Management of 108 employees in 35 cities with two counties in Southern California are. Maintained communication between building officials and consulting staff.
As Senior Building Inspector: Responsible for inspection of buildings within municipalities for compliance of the adopted model codes. Provided management support, training and technical direction for subordinate field staff. Acted as liaison for governmental agencies to architects, contractors and the general public. Developed and maintained Building Department inspection procedure. Recommended changes and amendments to the code.
As Building Inspector: Inspected buildings that were to be moved, erected, rehabilitated or remodeled for compliance. Investigated and resolved complaints concerning alleged code violations. Maintained Building Department records. Acquired current knowledge of technical changes to all the Uniform Building Codes (electrical mechanical and plumbing) and all related codes. Responsible of ensuring the safety an dwell-being of the public in times of emergency.
As Field Instructor: Assisted and provided for groups of students in building inspection techniques and codes for residential and light commercial buildings.
Licensed Contractor, Olsen Builders, 1979-1988
Subcontracted finish carpentry, specializing in door and sash, windows and cabinetry. Framed and built patios.
Carpenter- Subcontractor, 1974-1979
Skills included blueprint reading and specifications to construct 1300 to 4000 square foot residences. As a journeymancarpenter, trade skills included framing of floors, walls, roofs and forms for footings. Installation of all aspects of finishcarpentry. Remodeling of residential and commercial buildings. Commercial experience includes, but is not limited to, layoutand installation of division walls and mezzanine floors.
• International Conference of Building Officials: membership # 84850-6
• International Code Council: membership # 0848506
• ASTM International : membership # 000121664
• International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials Membership # 93426
• National Fire Protection Association Membership # A-30641020000 (inactive)
• International Association of Electrical Inspectors Membership #563650
• Disaster Service Worker - Office Emergency Services A.T.C. 20-1
• Instructor and field trainer in Building Code and Inspection Technology for the Pacesetter Schools.
• Conducted Building Code seminars for the construction industry throughout Southern California
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
• Building Plan Interpretation• Inspection of Code Compliance for the following
• Quality Control Occupancies:
• Construction Management A-1, A-2, A-2.1, A-3, A-4, B-1, B-2, B-3, F-1, F-2,
• Construction Education and Training H-1, H-2, H-3, H-4, H-5, H-6, H-7, M, R-1, R-3,
• Residential and Commercial Construction S-1, S-2, S-3, S-4, S-5, U-1, U-2
• Uniform Building Code• Inspection of Code Compliance for the following types
• National Electrical Code of buildings:
• Uniform Plumbing Code I, II, III, IV, V (fire-resistive, 1-hr. and non-rated)
• Uniform Mechanical Code• Inspection for abatement of substandard or hazardous
• ADA Compliance structures.
• Private Residences• Major Housing Tracts
• Town Houses• Commercial projects in the town of Apple Valley, and
• Condominiums the cities of Adelanto, Diamond Bar, Moreno Valley,
• Apartment Complexes Palmdale, San Bernardino and Yucaipa.
SELECTED PROJECTS/ BUILDING INSPECTION
• South Coast Air Quality Management District HQ, Diamond Bar, California
A 15-acre, five-story facility
• Town gate Shopping Center, Moreno Valley, California
60 acres, including Mervyns, Ralph's and Payless . Major housing tracts in Southern California by the following developers:
- Marlboro Homes- Paradise
- West Venture- Kaufman and Broad
SELECTED DUE DILIGENCE
• Kinko's Building, Ventura, California• 350 Ash Street. San Diego, California
Client: Ventura School DistrictClient: David Blackburn
126,000 square feet13 story Office Building